I love sewing dresses. My favorite dresses are casual style dresses that I can just throw them on with some tennis shoes or sandals and be out of the door. As I was searching the internet for ideas I came across this dress described as the “Minimalist Style Dress” and I immediately loved the style of the dress because it was a midi dress, without sleeves, a side slit, and a tie for the waist. I could not justify paying $90 for a dress when I have a sewing machine and a fabric stash. Then I remembered I had the Hipter Dress Pattern by Ellie and Mac which could give me the same style of dress if I make some modifications.
To make this dress you will need:
- Hipster dress pattern
- Fabric of choice (I used ribbed knit for this one)
- Rotary cutter
- Sewing machine/serger
- Matching thread
- Measuring tape
Let’s get started:
- Cut the front and back pieces of the hipster dress (I am doing the midi option) also the bottom band if making the band.
- Sew the front and back of the dress at the shoulder seam and press.
- Create the neckband: to do this measure the neck opening and multiply by .85 My neck opening was 23 inches I multiplied by .85 = 19.55 inches. I cut a strip of fabric 19.55 inches long x 1.5 inches wide. That’s how I created my neckband.
- Attach the neckband to the dress.
- Follow the instructions on the pattern to sew the lower band at the dress if doing that option.
- Sew the dress on the side seam.
- Measure the arm opening to create a shoulder band. I use the same technique as used on the neckband (Step 3).
- This part is optional : For a more flattering look on my body type I decided to create a sash. I took the measuring tape and tie it around my waist. I left the measuring tape hang as much as I wanted the sash to hang on my waist. I came with 46 inches measurements. For reference: I am a size XS with 25 inches measurement on the waist. I created a sash piece by cutting 2 pieces 23 inches long by 4 inches wide. I sewed the pieces right side together leaving an opening of 3 inches to turn the piece back to right sides out and press.
You have created the “Minimalist Style Dress” If you recreate this tutorial we will love to see. Please share on the Ellie and Mac Facebook group or Instagram. Thank you!
(Written by: Erika Jessen Pin)