Summer is here and like some of you I have started sewing some of my summer patterns. I have made the floral dreams top a few times, and I love it. I wanted to try to modify it and have more choices with this pattern.
For this transformation you will need:
- Floral Dreams tank top pattern
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine/serger
- Rotary cutter/ scissors
- Matching thread
- Fabric of choice (for this tutorial I used double brushed polyester)
- Cut 2 on fold of the Front piece. Those will be your front and back. There are 2 choices for neckline: scoop neck or triangle neckline. I cut on the triangle neckline. For a crop top I measure my side waist and added 1inch and ½ inch for hemming. Ex: my side waist is 9 inches; total top length was 10 and ½ inches.
- Cut 2 of the strap binding and iron as binding (instructions on how to do this are in the pattern)
- Cut 2 of the triangle front binding and iron as binding (instructions are in the pattern)
- Total pieces are 8: 1 front, 1 back (these are the same), 2 triangle front binding, and 2 strap binding.
- Gather the front and back piece on the points marked in the pattern.
- Attach front and back at the side seams.
- Attach the neck triangle biding as pattern instructions (on front and back)
- To attach the strap binding: find the middle of the strap binding and this will match with the side seam.
Open the binding and attach it only around the armscye.
- Fold the binding over the armscye and pin it. Continue to fold the binding to close it all over the straps.
- Sew all the binding with either a cover stitch or a sewing machine. I prefer to top stitch the binding with my sewing machine using a stitch length of 3.5 mm to 4 mm.
- Hem the top and you are done!
Thank you for reading this tutorial! See you in the next blog post!
(Written by Erika Jessen - @queenbeesew)
I love your instructions, so easy to understand and follow along, even for a beginner!
Thanks for sharing! Nice hack and the fabric really compliments it … FIESTA :)
Such a beautiful top.
I love this top.